Saturday, May 14, 2011

VITAMIN C or L ASCORBIC ACID or L ASCORBATE

Since I started travelling abroad handling workshops, shootings and supporting public services for our organization, I tried different ways to reduce expenses.  So, I am always comparing prices of planes and airport. 

When I checked the price flying through Clark Airport, you can save around more than P1, 600 compared to NAIA.  Therefore, on my 2nd flight abroad, I seek to go to Clark hence I ‘m living in Malolos City. I don’t want to become a burden to anybody so whenever I  travel, I go alone carrying all my loads. 

The day of my flight schedule arrived and these are my ordeals:  1st, I rode a tricycle from my office/home going to the van terminal going to San Fernando.  Then from San Fernando, I transferred to a jeepney going to Angeles.  Then, I transferred again to another jeep going to Clark compound.  When I ‘m paying and saying my destination which is Clark Airport, the driver told me that I have to transfer again when we get inside Clark vicinity.  Because they don’t pass that way but, instead there are jeepneys route meant for Clark Airport park in jeepney station which every passenger would have to haggle travel service.  So, all in all I transferred and rode 4 transpo along with my heavy luggage containing my clothes for 12 days and a shoulder bag.  Huh, whew ( ouch …my shoulder and back)!

When I safely arrived in Singapore, I suddenly got “runny nose”.  Then, it progressed into severe mucus build up to the extent, that when I blow my nose I have to consume 4-6 sheets of tissues with embarrassing sound of mucus every time I blow, because it is really heavy. ( yikes!) But, I didn’t mind at all scrutinizing my mucus color even though my brethren are seeing me, before throwing out tissues.  (I’m checking the mucus color  if it is clear there is  nothing to worry about.  But, when it turns yellowish there is already infection; needed antibiotic.  And if it turned greenish…oh alarming!  I should  go... check by doctors asap! I learned all of these things when I worked in my uncle’s EENT clinic and being a BSED health major).    

Since. it is just severe mucus and it is still clear, so I'm just taking 1,000 mg of Ascorbic Acid ;which I am very glad I brought it.  While still, I did a lot of taxing work though enjoyable and fulfilling during my stay despite of my situation.  And I felt bit pain in my back and mucus developing so much when I got back in the apartment. (It’s own by Sister Mayet and family where I was welcomed to stay).  I feel heavy...so, I took 4 x 500 mg of L Ascorbic Acid; made it 2,000 mg-2,000 mg and paracetamol that  day. (Checking my mucus color again and it turned yellowish already). Because of that feeling, I couldn’t accept the invitation of worker in Kuala Lumpur for me to visit them even 2 days. Huhuhuhu.  Even though, I really wanted to go.

The following day, when I attended our “Thanks Giving”, I approached the medical desk in the local and inquire for antibiotic and told them my mucus is already turned yellowish. They happily gave me the medicine I need.   I asked how much and willingly paying the medicine but they strongly refused saying, “Sister, it is free”!  (I feel so blessed yet, embarrassed because I admit that I am guilty of negligence at times and being apathy sometimes too, for God’s work specially helping our leaders who are bending themselves hard to meet all our spiritual needs including physical welfare even to non -members and yet I became one of the recipient of our Church medical services.   (Though it is truly intended for anybody in need regardless of religious denomination)  I feel very sorry and praying that God will always give me infinite opportunities to amend all my shortcomings.

Anyway, so because of taking high dosage of Vitamin C or L Ascorbic Acid (with full stomach) and antibiotic provided for me "free" by our brethren along with my paracetamol, drinking a lot of fluids and rest-I didn’t get fever and I was able to get better after few days. 

After accomplishing all the task in Singapore with God's help, like:  shooting, workshops, music video and little of sight seeing with some brethren, I packed and go back to the Philippines; feeling blessed and healed totally.  Seems like, I didn’t get sick at all in Singapore. Hehehehe

After that experienced, I’m always taking L Ascorbic Acid 500 mg daily and I am increasing the dosage to 2,000 mg when need arises like when I already feel bit pain in my throat and observing mucus in my nose starting to build. ( sniff)  Of course, taking it  with full stomach, with enough rest, lots of fluids and healthy diet.  

Since I made it a habit of taking it especially 3 times a day before,  I observed that I ‘m not gasping anymore when I walk long hours or do tiring task.  I believed it is because of the health benefit of Ascorbic Acid and healthy dietary intake.  As I remember it right,  while listening to the teachings of Bro. Eli Soriano...he said, according to the new  research in America  that taking high dosage of Ascorbic Acid is good for the heart).   




P.S.  I read a comment somewhere on the net that for a person not to get flu or cold is to often wash hands too.   
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


VITAMIN C or L ASCORBIC ACID or L ASCORBATE is an essential nutrient for humans and certain other animal species, in which it functions as a vitamin. In living organisms, ascorbate is anantioxidant, since it protects the body against oxidative stress. It is also a cofactor in at least eight enzymatic reactions, including several collagen synthesis reactions that cause the most severe symptoms of scurvy when they are dysfunctional. In animals, these reactions are especially important in wound-healing and in preventing bleeding from capillaries. Deficiency in this vitamin causes the disease scurvy in humans.

Deficiency
Scurvy is an avitaminosis resulting from lack of vitamin C, since without this vitamin, the synthesised collagen is too unstable to perform its function. Scurvy leads to the formation of brown spots on the skin, spongy gums, and bleeding from all mucous membranes. The spots are most abundant on the thighs and legs, and a person with the ailment looks pale, feels depressed, and is partially immobilized. In advanced scurvy there are open, suppurating wounds and loss of teeth and, eventually, death.

Physiological function in mammals

In humans, vitamin C is essential to a healthy diet as well as being a highly effective antioxidant, acting to lessen oxidative stress; a substrate for ascorbate peroxidase in plants (APX is plant specific enzyme); and an enzyme cofactor for the biosynthesis of many important biochemicals. Vitamin C acts as an electron donor for important enzymes

Collagen, carnitine, and tyrosine synthesis, and microsomal metabolism

Ascorbic acid performs numerous physiological functions in the human body. These functions include the synthesis of collagen, carnitine, and neurotransmitters; the synthesis and catabolism of tyrosine; and the metabolism of microsome.

Antioxidant

Ascorbic acid is well known for its antioxidant activity, acting as a reducing agent to reverse oxidation in liquids. When there are more free radicals (reactive oxygen species, ROS) in the human body than antioxidants, the condition is called oxidative stress,and has an impact on cardiovascular disease, hypertension, chronic inflammatory diseases, diabetes[90][91][92][93] as well as on critically ill patients and individuals with severe burns. Individuals experiencing oxidative stress have ascorbate blood levels lower than 45 µmol/L, compared to healthy individual who range between 61.4-80 µmol/L.

Pro-oxidant

Ascorbic acid behaves not only as an antioxidant but also as a pro-oxidant.Ascorbic acid has been shown to reduce transition metals, such as cupric ions (Cu2+), to cuprous (Cu1+), and ferric ions (Fe3+) to ferrous (Fe2+) during conversion from ascorbate to dehydroascorbate in vitro

Immune system

Vitamin C is found in high concentrations in immune cells, and is consumed quickly during infections. It is not certain how vitamin C interacts with the immune system, it has been hypothesized to modulate the activities of phagocytes, the production of cytokines andlymphocytees, and the number of cell adhesion molecules in monocytes.

Antihistamine

Vitamin C is a natural antihistamine. It both prevents histamine release and increases the detoxification of histamine. A 1992 study found that taking 2 grams vitamin C daily lowered blood histamine levels 38 percent in healthy adults in just one week. It has also been noted that low concentrations of serum vitamin C has been correlated with increased serum histamine levels.

Daily requirements

The North American Dietary Reference Intake recommends 90 milligrams per day and no more than 2 grams (2,000 milligrams) per day.[

Common side-effects

Relatively large doses of ascorbic acid may cause indigestion, particularly when taken on an empty stomach. However, taking vitamin C in the form of sodium ascorbate and calcium ascorbate may minimize this effect. When taken in large doses, ascorbic acid causes diarrhea in healthy subjects

Chance of overdose

Vitamin C is water soluble, with dietary excesses not absorbed, and excesses in the blood rapidly excreted in the urine. It exhibits remarkably low toxicity

Natural and synthetic dietary sources

The richest natural sources are fruits and vegetables, and of those, the Kakadu plum and thecamu camu fruit contain the highest concentration of the vitamin. It is also present in some cuts of meat, especially liver. Vitamin C is the most widely taken nutritional supplement and is available in a variety of forms, including tablets, drink mixes, crystals in capsules or naked crystals.
Vitamin C is absorbed by the intestines using a sodium-ion dependent channel. It is transported through the intestine via both glucose-sensitive and glucose-insensitive mechanisms. The presence of large quantities of sugar either in the intestines or in the blood can slow absorption.


Plant source
Amount
(mg / 100g)
3100
2800
2000
1600
695
500
445
400
244
Guava (common, raw)
228.3[s 1]
200
190
144
130
90
90
80
80
80
Wolfberry (Goji)
73 †
70
Persimmon (native, raw)
66.0[s 2]
60
60
† average of 3 sources; dried

Plant source
Amount
(mg / 100g)
60
60
50
41
40
Melon, cantaloupe
40
40
31
30
30
30
30
30
30
Cabbage raw green
30
30
28
21
20
Melon, honeydew
20
13
10
10
10
10
Plant source
Amount
(mg / 100g)
10
10
10
10
9
9
8
8
Persimmon (Japanese, fresh)
7
7
6
6
5
5
4
4
3
2
2
2
1
0.3
Source of information:  From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C




BIBLICAL SIGNIFICANCE OF CITRUS FRUITS:

Sukkot in the Bible

Sukkot is one of the three “pilgrimage” holidays mentioned in the Bible. Together with Pesach and Shavuot, these were the three times of the year that people came to Jerusalem to celebrate. 
Here are some excerpts from the
23rd chapter of the Book of Leviticus:

“The fifteenth of this seventh month shall be the feast of booths for seven days to the Lord…
…Also on the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when you have gathered in the fruit of the land, you shall keep a feast to the lord seven days: on the first day shall be a Sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a Sabbath. And you shall take for yourselves on the first day the fruit of the
tree hadar, branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick leaved trees, and willows of the brook... 





hadar” = citrus fruit similar to lemons, called ‘etrog 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment